SAVE FOOD initiative

Klöckner Pentaplast actively contributes to reducing food waste and loss

As member of the SAVE FOOD initiative Klöckner Pentaplast is committed to reducing food waste and loss. SAVE FOOD is a joint initiative of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Messe Düsseldorf, and Interpack, the leading global trade fair for packaging and processes. The goal is to fight global food waste and loss through a global alliance of above mentioned stakeholder.

According to the FAO one third of all food produced in the world for human consumption every year – approximately 1.3 billion tonnes – is either wasted or lost: An amount that would be enough to meet global food needs. Together with partners from industry, politics and civil society, SAVE FOOD aims to drive innovations, promote interdisciplinary dialogue and spark off debates in order to generate solutions, across the entire value chain “from field to fork”. By involving all actors. And on a broad front.
Global food waste and loss along the food distribution chain
Alt-Tag
Food is wasted throughout the food value chain, from initial agricultural production down to final household consumption. In industrialized nations food is to a high extent wasted, meaning that it is thrown away, e.g. because the best-before date has expired or too much food has been bought to be consumed in time. Significant food loss and waste do, however, also occur earlier in the food supply chain. In developing countries food is mostly lost during the production-to-processing stages of the food distribution chain.
Packaging needs to effectively contain and protect food during the entire food distribution chain, minimizing food loss and waste of both food and packaging during (long) distance transportation. On average packaging accounts for only 10% of total energy used for food products in the US, but it plays a central role in ensuring that the other 90% are not lost or wasted (Source: Industry council for research on Packaging and the Environment, 2014).

“This membership is very important to our company”, explains Giles Peacock, Head of Food and Consumer Packaging division, at Klöckner Pentaplast. “With innovative packaging solutions that help to protect its content, avoid transportation damages during distribution and increase shelf-life, among others, we contribute to the SAVE FOOD initiative. Further development is continuously ongoing on our sophisticated technologies and formulas, as well as our sustainable production methods”, says Peacock.
Global food waste and loss per year
Source: fao.org
Along the food distribution chain about 40% of food losses in developing countries happen at post-harvest and processing levels while in industrialized countries approximately 40% of food wastage occur at retail and consumer levels – according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

Klöckner Pentaplast is committed to reducing food loss and food waste. Therefore we continuously generate innovative solutions to effectively contain and protect food along the entire food distribution chain – “from field to fork”. The table below gives examples how we support minimizing food loss and waste.
Downloads
One Pager SAVE FOOD DOWNLOAD PDF
Detailed information about the SAVE FOOD initiative can be found here:



kp products which support the “SAVE FOOD” idea:

FOLLOW US

Follow us in social media

LinkedIn Youtube
CONTACT

Klöckner Pentaplast Group
P.O. Box 11 65
56401 Montabaur
Germany

Contact us
Phone: +49.2602.915.0