The Klöckner Pentaplast Group is a global leader in providing packaging, printing, and specialty solutions serving the pharmaceutical, medical device, food, beverage, and card markets among others. With a broad portfolio of rigid plastic films and services powered by innovation, kp plays an integral role in the customer value chain by marketing and protecting product integrity, safety, consumer health, and, ultimately, brand reputation.
With the emergence of the plastics industry in the 1960s, kp was founded in 1965. kp has grown from its initial facility in Montabaur, Germany, to current operations in 12 countries with 18 production sites. The company employs more than 3,200 people committed to serving customers worldwide.
* Million Euros
Our success is driven by the following factors:
- Leading market positions in Europe & North America with truly global footprint and a strong and growing presence in emerging markets
- Technological leadership & superior manufacturing capabilities
- Compelling product mix & end-user markets
- Strategic investments in attractive segments
- Sound volume growth
- Good cost management
- Robust and resilient profitability proven through the cycles
- Strong cash flow generation
FY 2013/2014 results once again demonstrate our strong strategy execution capabilities and our steady drive to create value for our customers. As kp continues to leverage its leadership position in the rigid plastic film market, the company was able to report an improvement in all key financials despite a tenser economic environment in some of the company’s core markets.
Net Sales slightly increased from €1,191 Mio. in the prior year to €1,194 Mio. in FY 2013/14. During the same period, Adjusted EBITDA improved by 6% from €174 Mio. to €183 Mio. This strong operating performance and increase in profitability is attributable to kp’s strategy and its continuous commitment to several initiatives, further enhancing the company’s operational excellence, market leadership, brand promise and relationship with high-value customers. The second phase of our strategy was
launched in May 2014. Particular focus is on shaping a more global and customer centric organization that is governed by the company’s customer industry segments. The strategic realignment aims at further strengthening Klöckner Pentaplast’s effectiveness, flexibility, and ability to anticipate and meet customer needs. The establishment of one management team with global responsibilities is one of the most important milestones that have already been achieved. In the next year, we will particularly focus on putting our customers at the very center of our business activities. The company will further intensify its cooperation, e.g. by implementing additional initiatives to enhance customer management and by conducting joint innovation projects. At the same time, kp will continue to expand operations in attractive markets and business fields.
kp also increased its Cash Flow from operating activities to €142 Mio. (previous year: €138 Mio.). The supreme operational performance and associated high free cash flow generation enabled the company to further deleverage its balance sheet. This contributed to another substantial decrease in Net Debt by €21 Mio. to €409 Mio. The ability to deleverage reflects our solid financial footing and strong liquidity position.
Net Sales increased by 2.4% from € 276 Mio. for the three months ending December 31, 2013 to € 283 Mio. for the three months ending December 31, 2014. Adjusted EBITDA was € 40.0 Mio. compared to € 41.1 Mio. for the same period of the prior year. The minor decline was mainly driven by the lower performance in Europe, resulting from lower volumes and margins and higher variable costs. The higher variable costs are a result of the EEG rebate in Germany (an exemption from the renewable energy surcharge on electricity prices) in the prior calendar year, which has been approved again for the calendar year 2015. Furthermore, the stronger USD positively impacted the results.
The results reflect that kp’s operational strength is still robust and sustainable. We expect our initiatives focused on operational excellence, sales excellence, and innovation to deliver further improvements in the coming months.
Looking to the future, we will continue to:
- Strengthen our global talent base
- Create value for and innovate with our customers
- Selectively strengthen and expand geographical presence, especially fast-growing Emerging Markets
- Leverage global position in key segments
- Further expand our product portfolio by developing innovative films to meet market needs
- Focus on value-added products and applications
- Continuously improve operating efficiencies
- Maintain technological and production leadership position
- Build strategic partnerships to create integrated solutions for targeted segments
- Implement cost-down/cost-out initiatives to sustain competitive advantage
- Encourage and assist our employees to develop their full potential
- is the preferred film solutions partner worldwide
- anticipates the needs of our customers
- maximizes the power of our employees
- delivers sustainable profitability
Dr. Markus Hölzl (Chief Financial Officer, Speaker of the Management Board)
Stefan Brandt (Chief Operating Officer)
Marc Setzen (Chief Technology Officer)
Klöckner Pentaplast Group
3585 Klöckner Road, P.O. Box 500
Gordonsville, Virginia, USA 22942